You are here
Marketing & Communications Associate
Marketing & Communications Associate
Position available for a Marketing & Communications Associate with the skills to generate awareness and grow participation for multifaceted Jewish educational and cultural center.
- Manages schedule and placements for print, radio, and online advertising
- Writes and/or edits marketing and advertising materials
- Develops materials to generate awareness of Spertus, its programs, and its staff and faculty — and fosters distribution of these materials through traditional and new media
- Supervises production and distribution of email marketing
- Monitors and contributes to Spertus communications on social media platforms including Twitter and Facebook
Media Relations Responsibilities
- Manages distribution of communication pieces, including press releases and calendar listings
- Facilitates print and electronic media requests, answers media queries, and schedules media interviews
- Serves on the team that develops stories to pitch to the media
- Supports ongoing relationships with print, broadcast, and internet-based media representatives
- Maintains media contact database and photo/media archives
Job requires resourcefulness, creativity, and enthusiasm. Candidates should possess an ability to work both independently and collaboratively, and should relish new challenges.
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Strong proofreading skills
- Bachelors degree in Marketing, Communications, or Journalism preferred, with at least 2 years related professional experience
- Strong organizational skills, including the ability to manage multiple projects with proper deference to details and deadlines
- Strong interpersonal skills, including demonstrated ability to work with all kinds of people, internally and externally
- Highly literate in Microsoft Office programs (especially Word and Excel) with experience managing media files (photos, audio, and video)
- Social media experience and enthusiasm for the creative possibilities inherent in social media marketing
Preference will be given to candidates who have:
- Familiarity and experience with local Chicago media
- Experience in nonprofit academic or cultural environment
- Knowledge of Jewish history, religion, and culture
- Experience with Drupal or similar website content management system
- Experience with Raiser’s Edge or similar fundraising database-management software
This is designated as a full-time position with health/dental benefits available. Occasional need for evening and Sunday work. Flexible hours possible. (We will accept applications from skilled candidates seeking part-time work if they are available 4/5 of full-time.)
Please send cover letter, resume, and two writing samples to:
Spertus Director of Marketing & Communications
NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE
Spertus is a center for Jewish learning and culture that invites people of all backgrounds to explore the multifaceted Jewish experience. Spertus inspires learning, serves diverse communities, and fosters understanding for Jews and people of all faiths.
Founded in 1924 as Chicago’s College of Jewish Studies, Spertus today offers an innovative, non-denominational array of specialized and public programming, grounded in Jewish thought, inspired by Jewish values, and resolutely relevant to people’s lives.
Spertus offers accredited graduate-level degree programs in areas that are critical to the Jewish and wider communities—including Jewish studies, leadership training, and nonprofit management. Recognizing that learning is sparked by many points of entry, programming at Spertus also includes cultural and continuing education offerings, such as lectures, seminars, exhibitions, concerts, and films. Partnerships and collaborative relationships in the Jewish, academic, philanthropic, and cultural arenas further allow Spertus to serve as a portal for diverse learning opportunities.
The Institute cultivates an atmosphere of lively discourse. We often hear from students and participants that their experiences at Spertus are inspiring and even transformative. That is by design, because the Institute pursues cutting-edge best practice in everything it does. This results in meaningful, important opportunities for personal and professional growth for constituents and communities.
In 2007, an innovative new Spertus building was opened at 610 S. Michigan Avenue in the heart of Chicago’s historic academic and cultural corridor. This award-winning building, which serves as the main Spertus campus, features state-of-the-art classroom, theater, exhibition, and library spaces, plus collections’ storage for art, archives, books, music, and film.