You are here
Spertus Institute for Jewish Learning and Leadership seeks an individual Web Developer to support and enhance our online efforts and resources.
About the position
The successful candidate will be working within the Marketing & Communications Department, a small department whose close and creative team handles media relations, content management, online and email marketing, graphic design and production, social media, video, and more.
In this position you will be responsible for the design, development, and maintenance of Spertus Institute’s websites and web-based technical resources.
The Web Developer is the go-to resource for everything web related and therefore must be comfortable administering a variety of LAMP-based technology and servers. Our ideal candidate has a well-rounded background in current open source web technologies and Linux administration as well as an eye for design. He or she will work on a diverse variety of projects that support every part of Spertus Institute’s mission. Pleasant work environment. Flexible hours available.
Reports to the Director of Marketing & Communications.
What you will be doing
- Design, develop, manage, and maintain Spertus Institute’s web sites — spertus.edu, shop.spertus.edu, and donate.spertus.edu — as well as internal portals
- Proactively address areas that need attention and resolve technical issues in conjunction with vendor support
- Establish strategies, guidelines, and monitoring of web resources for accuracy and effectiveness
- Support Spertus Institute’s outreach to constituents, including producing/updating/managing templates for ongoing and special email marketing campaigns
- Proactively recommend web and design solutions to enhance online communications and improve site performance
- Develop and implement new web applications for special projects and institutional collaborations
- Provide after-hours/non-workday support onsite or via remote access as needed
Required education and experience
- Bachelor’s degree in in computer science, graphic design, visual communications, multimedia, or similar
- 3+ years of experience in web design and development
- Portfolio showcasing design and development skills as well as a passion for clean design and user experience/usability
- Advanced knowledge of web server administration, WHM/cPanel support, and CentOS or other Linux distributions
- Experience with PHP, MySQL, Drupal, and working with content management systems
- Experience developing database driven websites
- Experience designing for a variety of users and technologies
- Proficiency in image editing and information design/architecture
- Proficiency with Adobe’s Creative Suite
- Excellent organizational skills
- Ability to work well independently and with colleagues and vendors
- Experience with Blackbaud NetCommunity
- Experience with a PHP MVC framework
- Experience developing with third party APIs
- Experience with a front-end framework like 960gs, Bootstrap, or Foundation
- Experience with LemonStand or other e-commerce platforms
- Experience with SEO and managing and interpreting Google Analytics data and Google AdWords campaigns
- Past experience in educational, nonprofit, or arts organization
Please forward resume, cover letter, URLs of sites you have built and/or currently manage (required), and at least two references to Betsy Gomberg at firstname.lastname@example.org
No phone calls
Spertus Institute for Jewish Learning and Leadership
610 S. Michigan Avenue
Chicago, IL 60605-1901
ABOUT SPERTUS INSTITUTE
Spertus Institute for Jewish Learning and Leadership offers dynamic learning opportunities, rooted in Jewish wisdom and culture and open to all. These opportunities are designed to enable personal growth, train future leaders, and engage individuals in exploration of Jewish life. Graduate programs and professional workshops are offered in the Chicago area, in select locations across North America, and through distance learning. Public programs — including films, speakers, seminars, concerts, and exhibits — are offered at the Institute’s Michigan Avenue facility, in the Chicago suburbs, and online. For more information, please visit spertus.edu.
Spertus Institute is a partner in serving the community, supported by the Jewish United Fund/Jewish Federation of Metropolitan Chicago.
Spertus Institute is an equal opportunity employer.