Nathan and Maurice Goldblatt were the sons of Polish immigrants. They got their start running errands for a Milwaukee Avenue department store and before long were able to open their own store on Chicago Avenue in 1914. Goldblatt’s operated from 7 am until 10 pm on a strictly cash basis. Merchandise was crammed into the no-frills interior and prices were constantly adjusted to ensure a rapid turnover. A “bargain basement” offered items costing a dollar or less. This photo is of their business location near Broadway and Lawrence on the North Side.