You are here
Learn more about Jewish Leadership by exploring these suggested resources:
Books Available in the Asher Library
- Brown, Erica. Inspired Jewish Leadership: Practical Approaches to Building Strong Communities. Woodstock, VT: Jewish Lights Publishing, 2008.
- Bubis, Gerald B. The Director Had a Heart Attack and the President Resigned: Board-Staff Relations for the 21st Century. Jerusalem: Jerusalem Center for Public Affairs, 1999.
- Cohen, Norman J. Moses and the Journey to Leadership: Timeless Lessons of Effective Management from the Bible and Today's Leaders. Woodstock, VT: Jewish Lights Publishing, 2007.
- Elazar, Daniel Judah. Authority, Power, and Leadership in the Jewish Polity. Lanham: University Press of America, 1991.
- Laufer, Nathan. The Genesis of Leadership: What the Bible Teaches Us About Vision, Values, and Leading Change. Woodstock, VT: Jewish Lights Publishing, 2006.
- Lewis, Hal. From Sanctuary to Boardroom: A Jewish Aproach to Leadership. Lanham: Rowman & Littlfield, 2006.
- Lewis, Hal. Models and Meaning in the History of Jewish Leadership. Lewiston, N.Y. Edwin Mellen Press, 2004.
Articles Available Through the Asher Library
- Blumenthal, Fred . "Samson and Samuel: Two Styles of Leadership". Jewish Bible Quarterly, 33,2 (2005) 108-112.*
- Brown, Erica S. "The Jewish Spirit of Leadership. Torah u—Madda Journal, 13 (2005) 187-194.
- Brown, Erica S. "Personal, Institutional, and Communal Leadership: Rethinking Leadership Development for the Jewish Community". Journal of Jewish Communal Service, 82,3 (2007). 234-243.*
- Immerman, Hilton. "Modern Insights into Leadership from Classical Jewish Sources". Australian Journal of Jewish Studies, 21 (2007) 155-169.
- Lewis, Hal M. "The Jewish Studies Professor as Communal Leader." Shofar, 24,3 (2006) 127-135.*
- Lewis, Hal M. "A Jewish View on Leadership". Journal of Jewish Communal Service, 82,3 (2007) 244-251.*
- Reisman, Bernard. "The Structure and Leadership Role of the North American Jewish Community. Journal of Jewish Communal Service, 74, 2-3 (1997-1998) 134-139.*
- Weiner, Audrey S. "Women in Jewish Communal Leadership in the 21st Century. Journal of Jewish Communal Service, 71, 2-3 (1995) 124-131.*
* These articles are available in full-text format to Spertus students
and members through EBSCOhost.
Spertus Digital Resources
- The Economic Downturn and the Future of the American Jewish Community — Hear audio from a Spertus lecture by Dr. Jonathan Sarna on a topic of critical importance for those involved in the work and support of the Jewish community. Dr. Sarna examined the economic downturn and its implications for the American Jewish community, especially in the area of Jewish education.
- Berman Jewish Policy Archive. NYU Wagner.
- Cohen Center for Modern Jewish Studies at Brandeis University
- Jewish Leadership Resources. The Wexner Foundation eNewsletter.