You are here
21st-Century Jewish Community Leader Lisette Zaid (above) is the Program Manager for new Chicago outpost of San Francisco-based UpStart.
She developed her leadership skills through Spertus Institute's Master of Arts in Jewish Professional Studies (MAJPS) program, a unique graduate program that meets the needs of students and their careers through its core curriculum, concentration areas, and individualized learning components including mentoring and an applied final project.
Students in the MAJPS program learn to:
- Understand the key themes in Jewish communal life today
- Possess a grounding in classical Jewish thinking and texts
- Understand the best practices in nonprofit management that
most affect Jewish communal work
- Develop skills for critical self-reflection and career planning, aided by work with an individual mentor
- Integrate theory and practice in the professional environment
- Learn to work constructively with diverse groups of constituents and colleagues
Course Requirements (45 quarter-hour credits)
At Spertus Institute, course credit is granted in quarter hours (as opposed to semester hours).
- Core curriculum (8 courses, 3 credits each)
- Concentration (4 courses, 3 credits each)
- Individualization, including mentoring and a capstone project (9 credits)
- Jewish Education
- Camping and Experiential Education
- Nonprofit Management
- Jewish Studies
The MAJPS program also offers the opportunity to earn an additional certification as part of your integrated coursework (additional fees apply) in either Jewish Leadership (through a partnership between Spertus and Northwestern University) or Israel Education (through a partnership between Spertus and the iCenter).
The next Chicago MAJPS cohort begins this fall, with a preliminary seminar in June.
Reduce the cost to become a better leader
Work at least 15 hours per week serving the Jewish community? If so, you are eligible for a Midcareer Fellowship that reduces the cost of the MAJPS program by 70%! Fellowships are available to students who enroll byJune 15, 2016.
With the generous support of an outside donor, Spertus Institute for Jewish learning and Leadership is able to provide significant scholarships through the Midcareer Fellowship Program (MAJPS/midcareer-fellowship) to qualified students. Fellows receive a tuition reduction of 70% bring the cost of the entire cost of the program to just under $5,000.
Interested in learning more?
Contact Director of Enrollment Stacey Flint, who will meet you to discuss your goals and share how the Spertus MAJPS program can accelerate your career or empower your staff. Reach her at email@example.com or 312.322.1707